Content is the basis for Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
In order for machines to learn, they need to learn from masses of content sources and understand the relationship of those sources to each other. Are you sure that the content you would use to integrate with an AI/Machine Learning device would be relevant enough, deep enough to make that machine smart enough to provide your organization with a time and cost saving digital employee? Would that machine be able to locate the content that will feed its mechanical brain to make it possible to relate to humans in a human-like way?
At SDI Global Services (SDIGS), for over 40 years, we have provided a variety of content development and service mechanisms that our clients used to grow their information output. By assessing your organization’s content sources and the appropriate content conversion necessary to integrate with the recommended service mechanisms, SDIGS would assure your AI/ML device would be smart and grow smarter as time goes on.
One of our initial projects using IBM’s Watson technology, gave us the background for understanding the methods and practices needed to integrate with and utilize devices that interacted with Natural Language interfaces and other underlying AI applications. This required gaining access to the proper and authorized corpus of information related to the source content that a learner could access, the associated business processes and the support data and required information. This data and information came from text, images, documents, audio and visual info and other content sources that were needed to assure a successful interpretation of the learner’s requests. By selection of the proper process path, and formation of the most relevant responses to the learner’s requests to the system, the AI/ML agent, Watson, was able to provide additional supportive information within the learning system. That project initiated our current focus on researching and adopting the latest and most productive technologies and the requirements for preparing for the use of such agents and technologies.
Defining Your Pathway to AI/ML Adoption and Process Automation
While your organization may not be ready to move into AI and Process Automation on a broad basis, you probably need to perform assessments which will define;
- The requirement for making an AI investment
- Identifying potential areas that present the best opportunity and return on investment
- Determining the best method(s) of deployment in your organization.
Investment Decision: Understanding your need based on sound business reasoning rather than a whim, is a critical step toward creating a new, transformative capability for your organization which can have several drivers such as:
- The ability to reduce costs through automation
- Developing a generic automation capability as part of an innovation program
- Applying growth targets that current operations cannot support
- Competitive issues that require a different solution than offered through current applications
Best Place to Start – While there are several factors to consider about where to apply your investment and effort in an AI/ML project, the main ones deal with:
- Growth Projects and Performance: Examine growth projections and their effect on the performance of the organization to determine if they are in-line to provide and support the anticipated demand (budgets, personnel, training curve, and others).
- Importance and Impact on Business Processes: Tasks vary in importance, impact and time to complete. Identify the order of importance of selected processes and tasks, their impact on your organization, the areas of difficulty involved in their performance and your current capacity to meet the growth demands.
- Return on Investment: Develop a quantitative and qualitative scorecard that your team can use to rank the importance of scenarios that may likely impact the organizations performance, product or service satisfaction, escalation or time to recover, the level or type of management involvement, financial impact, and supply chain interruption.
- Process Flows and Content Source: Perform a basic process mapping of the scenarios, the sources of data and content provided to support the processes involved in order to visualize and establish the baseline used for the evaluation.
- Solution Criteria: Perform an analysis of the type of solutions and/or methods which could be needed to approach and solve the issue identified as having the most importance to the organization. From that point, additional criteria can be added that can follow the initial starting point.
Best Methods to Use – The final step in putting together a roadmap that focuses on how best to evaluate, identify and implement a potential AI/ML solution to the issues identified as having the highest value, impact on the business and importance to the organization. Since most solutions involve “buy-in” across multiple departments within the organization, the team involved must determine:
- Can the solution be performed using in-house resources? Will it need outside support?
- Are there any “off the shelf” solutions available which may require “customization” or is there a need to develop an “in-house” solution?
- What parts of the organization will be involved in supporting the evaluation, design, development, implementation and support of the olution?
- What are the types resources required (software, personnel, technical /business background, past experience, expertise)?
- What is involved with introducing the solution into the infrastructure, support structure and the impact on the current organizational arrangement, policies, processes and culture?
- What are the potential budgetary and program/project timeframe issues involved?
- Is there any “past history” with trying to address this type of problem or issue within the company?
Content – A Major Factor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Most areas of business that could be involved in a process automation project involving AI/ML, use personnel and busines processes that require access to both data, documents and other content. Data systems, by nature, process, store and enable relevant structured data in data stores or can be readily accessed to support a process.
Content, however, often resides in systems or local storage areas that are not as heavily curated, categorized, tagged with metadata and stored for integration and access. Even when Content and Document Management systems are employed, the quality and utility is often in question as to how effective it will be in supporting a particular type of AI-application.
Content utility is derived from the relevancy, discoverability, shareability and engagement of the content from the available sources without enhancement and conversion. Utility may be increased by:
- Continuing to fine tune search methods and algorithms
- Improve contextual understanding of requests
- Adopting deep learning techniques that produce more narrowly-defined, evidenced-based results and search relevance and engagement needed to support the specifics of the business process involved.
This often requires an assessment and understanding of the content sources and the service mechanisms used to currently deliver content to your employees, customers and partners. The content architecture and authoring team at SDI Global Services can assist in reviewing the current techniques for content development and delivery and guide the AI integration towards adoption of technology, techniques and business practices which can support the next generation of digital employees, customers and partners where there is a hybrid interaction of machines with humans and/or a highly automated machine-machine process.
SDI Global’s Experience and Capabilities
Below are some of the customers that SDIGS has performed projects, experiences and capabilities for over a number of years where we assisted our clients in dealing with various strategic business issues. Issues that ranged from cost containment and reduction, rapid portfolio growth and product introduction, change management, new business systems and process introductions to large scale reorganizations and headcount reductions along with mergers and acquisitions. All of these business projects relied on the content within the organization, how it was curated and delivered and the impact that changing the content would have on the business functions and personnel.
Within this context, SDIGS provided many essential services related to updating and servicing the content that supported our clients during, and for a long assignment period after. Our customers dealt with the changes and the impact on their organizations while we provided them with cost effective, innovative and gap filling services required on a short and long term basis often resulting in a true and long-term partnership arrangement. If your business is considering a move toward the integration of Digital Employees, built using AI and curating the business’ content sources, including the impact to carry out important business functions, would your content be ready to meet those challenges?
SDIGS can make the assessment and related recommendations for preparing your content sources for utilization with the latest components of Artificial Intelligent agents so your business can collect the benefits of moving towards AI/ML. Below are some of the components of Content Development that SDIGS can assist your organization with the development of or conversion to frameworks that will assist your AI/ML initiatives.
Contact us at 732-357-6417
Our documentation services bridge the gap between technology and the end user by delivering efficient and cost-effective quality documentation. Working from technical specifications, prototypes and in direct contact with our clients, our writers produce a wide range of hardcopy and on-line technical publications.
Content Solution Types We Can Create
- User Guides
- Service Manuals
- Site Preparation Guides
- Installation Guides
- Online Help
- Graphic/media elements
- Engineering data packages
- Marketing and sales packages
- Electronic manuals
- Business system documentation
- Policy, process and procedure documentation
How do We Assist Your Organization?
By providing experienced technical content authors and editors – with subject matter experience in Information Technology, Telecom, Pharma, Medical, Finance and Manufacturing who have backgrounds working with:
- Single source content authoring experience in DITA and S1000D
- Graphic design, 3D modeling and media production
- Experts in conversion of documentation content to training content, or preparation for translation